Written by Suzanne Slade
Illustrated by Thomas Gonzalez
Were it not for the extensive research and creative presentations, the reader might almost think of this book as a coffee table book. However, there is a tremendous amount of information to be gleaned, both from the text and from the illustrations. The author includes a short biography of each astronaut, as well as a lot of information on each mission.
The 2979 days referred to in the title is the time period between President Kennedy’s pronouncement of the goal to reach the Moon by decade’s end and the actual landing by Apollo 11 astronauts. Chapter-by-chapter, each of the 10 missions preceding that landing are highlighted, with the goal of each mission carefully outlined. Credit is given to all men and women involved in the process.
This book does a great job of giving the feel of living through that period in history and of watching with heightened anticipation with each success and failure. Anyone interested in space exploration should give this book a look.
- Title: Countdown: 2979 Days to the Moon
- Author: Suzanne Slade
- Illustrator: Thomas Gonzalez
- Published: Peachtree Publishers, 2018
- Reviewer: Sue Poduska
- Format: Hardcover, 144 pages
- Grade Level: 5 to 8
- Genre: Nonfiction, Space Exploration
- ISBN: 978-1-68263-013-6
- Extras: Table of Contents, More on Team Apollo, Bringing Apollo 11 Home, Author’s Note, Illustrator’s Note, Bibliography, Credits